Pomegranates are a new super food: They are high in vitamin C and potassium, a great source of fiber, and low in calories. This fruit is not only delicious, but one of the healthier foods you can eat!
Pomegranate juice is high in three different types of polyphenols, a potent form of antioxidants. The three types - tannins, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid - are present in many fruits, but fresh pomegranate juice contains particularly high amounts of all three. The antioxidants are credited with helping in the prevention of cancer and heart disease.
So, whether you snack on fresh pomegranate arils (seeds) or drink the juice, feel guilt-free as you enjoy each delicious mouthful- you're doing your body a favor!
After viewing this post by Sheena I was determined once again to buy a Pomegranate! (the first time I was inspired I allowed it to rot on my table...but I wan't afraid of it...really) so today while shopping I picked up a couple came straight home and began cutting, soaking, peeling (and tasting) and decided I LOVE pomegranates! It's such an interesting, odd, yet addicting "seed". I used Sheena's method of dunking them in a bowl of water and gently popping the seeds out using my fingers, however, I read that there is another way involving beating the pom with a spoon? I'll need to look into that for next time.
So my pictures aren't as great as Sheena's. okay so they're pretty much a J.O.K.E compared to hers but I documented them anyway and even though I lack a fancy camera and err photo skills, this is still my blog so here it goes,
| Scary right? |
| It's like a juicy red piece of corn. |
| This is the fun part! The white "pulp" stuff has a Styrofoam-like consistency! |
| These babies are yummy just like this but I heard they're fabulous in hot cereals and yogurts too, we'll see in the morning! |
Those two pom's pictured above made approx 3-1/5 cups of seeds! Crazy huh? |
No comments:
Post a Comment